VMware has announced the launch of vSphere 6, the first major release of the flagship product in more than three years. vSphere 6 is packed with more than 650 new features and innovations that will empower users to virtualise applications with confidence by delivering increased scale and performance, breakthrough availability, storage efficiencies for virtual machines (VMs) and simplified management for the virtual datacentre.
As the industry’s most complete and robust virtualisation platform, vSphere 6 is purpose-built for both scale-up and scale-out applications including newer cloud, mobile, social and big data applications.
Scale and Performance
- 2X, 3X or even 4X scale improvements.
- Superior 2D and 3D graphics for your VMs with NVIDIA GRID vGPU
- Instant Clone technology lays the foundation to rapidly clone and provisions VMs up to 10x faster than what is possible today.
Breakthrough Industry-First Availability
- vMotion enhancements that span the boundaries of virtual switches and vCenter Servers and over long distances with up to 100ms round trip time.
- Fault Tolerance for larger virtual machines with support for up to 4-vCPUs.
Efficient Storage for Virtual Machines
- vSphere Virtual Volumes will enable a broad range of external storage arrays to become VM-aware.
- Storage Policy-Based Management (SPBM) allows for common management across storage tiers and dynamic storage class of service automation.
Simplified Management of the Virtual Data Center
- vSphere Content Library provides a centralised repository that provides simple and effective management for content including VM templates, ISO images, and scripts.
- Cross-vCenter Clone and Cross-vCenter Migration enables VMs to be copied and moved between hosts on different vCenter Servers in a single action.
- New streamlined Web Client that is more responsive and more intuitive. Nearly 100 areas of improvements with some areas experiencing up to 5x performance gains.